This week you're going to kick-start your creativity. This week's assignment has multiple parts (3 parts), so make sure that you're including all of them to score maximum points. Make sure to read the full instruction sheet included. You're going to be creating the following:
Word Association and Mind-Mapping Assignment
Part 1: Word Association
For this assignment, you will do a free word association session for 5 minutes. Set a timer for 5 minutes and start with one word. Write everything down that comes to mind. If you cannot find a word to start off with, go to dictionary.com and find the Word of the Day.
Do not worry about spelling at this point. It’s also not necessarily about speed, but it’s also not about thinking out what the next word will be. Find a good rhythm and write down as many words and phrases that come to mind. Do not use a computer for this exercise.
Part 2: Mind-Mapping
Now that you have completed your Word Association, you will now create a Mind Map. A mind map is quite a straight forward tool, where you take a central concept, and then draw out subconcepts. So, for example, you could write “mind map article” in the middle of the page, then draw lines out from there and create sub-nodes with various headings. They can be more structured, as the example on the left shows. Or, they can be more image based as the example on the right shows.
In each of these examples, however, all the information makes sense and is actually very well-organized. Each “stem” contains a main thought and sub-points.
Look through your word association and start grouping similar thoughts. From there, start to create your mind map. Each main thought would be your heading, and each sub- thought would be your sub-heading or “node.”
You can use a computer or create freehand. If you create the mind map by hand, make sure that it is legible.
Submit your word association, your mind map, and a 100 to 250 word reflection in the assignments section of Canvas. In your reflection, discuss how this can help or hinder creativity. Did it help you? Remember to reference course materials in your response.
Suggested free apps to help with this assignment*
*These apps are suggestions to help you complete your assignments, but not necessary. Technical support is not provided by your instructor or the university.
Chapter 6 Ideation
Learning Objectives • Create a toolbox for concept development • Explain how to generate and evaluate concepts quickly
The Big Idea • All major campaigns start with an idea • Your concept tells the story of the brad, product, or service • The story must resonate with the audience
Ideation • Also called concepting • Process of developing ideas • In our field, the ideation process centers
• the audience • a product or service • a unique challenge
Concepting • Concepting then must tie these elements together in order to address the customers
physical needs and emotional wants
Group Concepting • How do you generate clever ideas in a team?
• Card sorting – distributing index cards prior to a concepting session and asking participants to fill them out. Associated words and themes are then identified.
• Post-it Pass – Write one idea on a notecard in 5 minutes. After the time is up, your card is passed to the next person next to you. They are given 5 minutes to adjust the idea or make it better.
• Mind Mapping (spider graphs) – helps define a challenge more holistically • Collaboration
Tools for Effective Ideation • Use metaphors
o The problem is like a _________ • Exaggeration • Features
o Your creative brief should help with this o Take that One Thing that your brand has that no competitor has
• The Opposite o Must be an extreme opposite o Whatever the benefit of your product is, imagine a world without it
Tools for Effective Ideation • State the obvious
o Some things money can’t buy, but for everything else, there’s Mastercard • Headline driven
o Uniformed and well executed headline can drive a campaign
Mini Project (Extra Credit Activity) (2%) • Using one of the group concepting strategies discussed in Chapter 6, generate an idea for
a branding/re-branding advertising campaign for one of the following: • Forever 21 • Rihanna • Kanye West • Twitter • Bed Bath & Beyond
• Draft a creative brief for the client • Generate three creative concepts for the brand • Presentations in Week 12
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25